Whether you are planning a concert, church camp, school function, fund raiser, conference or sports fixture there are a number of common tasks that need to be taken care of in order for the event to be a success. It can be hard to identify all these actives, so in order to help you out, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of tasks to remember when planning your next event.
We have created a print-friendly PDF version as well as a spreadsheet version so you can you can customize it with your own unique event planning activities.
Download FREE printable version
- Establish event goals and objectives
- Identify demographic and customer profiles
- Create event themes and concepts
- Determine event date and check for conflicting events
- Identify location and venue options
- Confirm speakers/presenters/entertainers
- Confirm sponsors/partners
- Get cost estimates for all of the above
- Analyze past event budgets
- Price tickets based on market research
- Confirm costs and determine income vs expenditure
- Contracts signed
- Finalize presentations
- Obtain photos and bios
- Confirm travel & accommodation arrangements
- Confirm ticket prices
- Confirm sponsor packages and pricing
- Setup/enable online registration
- Identify items to be underwritten and accounting requirements
- Identify reliable ticketing solution
- Identify suitable vendors and service providers (food, beverages, signage, promo material, lighting, sound etc.)
- Visit the event venue and determine registration area, seating, signage, parking, disability access etc.
- Request written confirmation of the facilities and services provided by the venue on the day of the event and leading up to it
- Identify any special permits, licenses or insurance requirements
- Draft a publicity and awareness program
- Create publicity pieces such as press releases, blog posts, interviews, ad material etc.
- Request logos from sponsors and partners
- Create invitations, posters, adverts etc.
- Compile a media list and media kit
- Create or update the event website/page
- Implement ticketing solution
- Create a mailing list and integrate it with the website
- Create or update the Facebook event page
- Create a promo video for your event and post it on social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube etc.)
- Submit your event to online event calendars
- Create a content strategy (content targeting, press release channels, influencer strategy etc.)
Final checks before the event
- Finalize timelines
- Send reminders to attendees
- Confirm travel and accommodation bookings
- Request copies of presentations from speakers/presenters
- Send out final press releases and news updates
- Confirm floor and seating plan
- Confirm media attendance
- Designate staff roles (registration, social media, food, beverages, health and safety, VIP care, speaker assistance, audio, visuals, security etc)
- Train volunteers
- Prepare all materials needed on the day of the event such as signage, promo materials, badges, chairs, tables, tablecloths, flowers, pens, trophies, gifts, printed speeches etc.)
- Draft a contingency plan for unforeseen events (bad weather, no-shows etc.)
- Setup venue
- Print a list of all the attendees
- Do a trial run of critical activities
On the day of the event
- Perform last minute checks
- Print out contact information for all vendors, partners, sponsors, speakers, volunteers, staff etc.
- Brief the team before the event starts
- Keep calm and carry on. You got this!
- Gather and collate all financial reports, receipts, invoices, registration data etc.
- Compile a sales report and update the budget accordingly
- Send thank you notes to sponsors, speakers, meda, partners, vendors, attendees etc.
- Conduct a post event survey
- Issue post event report